Pages

Monday 29 November 2010

Tournament Report: HNC Final Nagymaros

Hi folks!

I've played my Nana Buruku deck again. I've chosen that deck again, because I didn't want to play any untested deck and this was the only I wasn't bored with yet. I managed to make a 1GW 4VP's which isn't a bad result but was not enough to make it to the final. I won a game where I made a very fast VP and let my predator die. After that I waited for my new prey, a Malkavian sb, to oust my new predator (Inner Circle vote). On the 1 vs. 1 I've played a Frontal Assault and the game win was mine. I could have won the first table too, if my last Ashur hadn't been washed away. I ran out of cards, so I couldn't oust anymore and my predator played an Enkidu deck I could never beat in combat. I could have made a Game Win with 3 VP's there and than died on the 1 vs 1 against Enkidu, but as I wrote before: I ran out of cards. So I finished somewhere between the 8th and 10th place from the top 40, that's ok.

I didn't stay to watch the final, but I was told later that a Trujah deck won and our new National Champion is Peter Botos. Here is his winning deck:

Deck Name: True Power
Created By: Botos Péter

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 13, Max: 36, Avg: 6,75)
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
1 Tyler McGill AUS pre 4 Toreador
1 Andre LeRoux aus 3 Toreador
2 Veejay Vinod AUS 3 Nagaraja
4 Lydia AUS FOR POT TEM dom pre9 True Brujah
4 Al–Muntathir AUS FOR PRE TEM obf qui8 True Brujah

Library: (90 cards)
–––––––––––––––––––
Master (16 cards)
1 Tabriz Assembly
3 Perfectionist
3 Dreams of the Sphinx
1 Anarch Troublemaker
4 Villein
1 Wider View
1 Pentex Subversion
1 Giant`s Blood
1 Remover

Action (12 cards)
7 Vaticination
3 Summon History
2 Mind Numb

Action Modifier (24 cards)
11 Domain of Evernight
2 Crocodile`s Tongue
2 Recurring Contemplation
7 Tangle Atropos` Hand
2 Freak Drive

Reaction (18 cards)
3 My Enemy`s Enemy
3 On the Qui Vive
6 Eyes of Argus
6 Telepathic Misdirection

Combat (10 cards)
10 Outside the Hourglass

Ally (1 cards)
1 Veneficti (Mage)

Equipment (3 cards)
1 Guarded Rubrics
1 Heart of Nizchetus
1 Codex of the Edenic Groundskeepers

Combo (6 cards)
6 Quicksilver Contemplation

Congratulations to Peter for winning with this nice deck!

For me this tournament marked the end of an era. Some time after the release of KoT I changed my play style and started to build and play combat decks only. Oddly enough the majority of people state that you can't win with combat decks, or they say that it is at least unlikely to win with them. Well, before KoT I played decks like tap and bleed, power bleed, stealth-vote, etc. and never won a tournament (well I did win 1 unofficial one with a toreador anti tap and bleed) although I played like ~15 finals at least. After switching to combat I played less than 10 finals but won 5 tournaments within 1 and a half year! Who says you can't win with combat?

Well, but as I told you this era has come to an end. I won't play my Brujah Alastor, Nana Buruku and Hardestadt decks on tournaments anymore. In order to avoid getting stuck it's now time to move on and try new ideas and new ways. 2011 will be the beginning of a new era. Since my major goal was to enter the Hall of Fame, which I achieved this month, I will be able to play much more relaxed. Now the goal has changed: fun is now more important than winning and I am looking forward to this!

by: Mephistopheles

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the tournament wins! Playing with combat is tricky, so the victories must have been that much sweeter. Now that you are moving on to more fun decks, what does fun mean to you?

    I wrote a little about it here, mostly in terms of what fun is *not* for me:

    http://brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/2010/03/59-fun-or-not.html

    Is it particular styles of decks, cards, minions, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brandon!

    For me fun means playing cards and combos which are tricky but less effective. Fun is also: exploring interesting cards or discipline choices other people don't use. Also toolbox is almost always fun. You'll see my decks next year!

    (there will be one more tournament this year, I won't play a fun deck there)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The deck is simply amazing !!!
    Congrats to Peter Botos.

    ReplyDelete