Pages

Tuesday 11 May 2010

Pentex, Pentex, Pentex

Hi folks!

There is only 1 single card in v:tes which I love and hate at the same time: Pentex Subversion. I use to say as a joke that I always have a Pentex with me, even if I am not going to play v:tes. I haven't built a deck without it since like 4 years. I made many gw's and ton's of vp's with it. I still hate that stupid card! In the last 2 finals I played, altogether 9 Pentex Subversions have been played. Three of them on my vampires, and only 2 were played by me. Flekk wrote in his blog (it's not linked here because it is written in hungarian only), that during the 4 rounds of the storyline event more than 10 Pentex Subversions where tried to be put on his star vampire Karsh!

Whenever I try to build a deck I find myself agonizing on how I can possibly survive a Pentex. Of course you can play with Sudden Reversal and Wash, but you don't always want to put 3-4 cards in a deck, just to have a chance of surviving this one card. Sometimes I just say "who cares" and build a star vampire deck (like the Hardestadt eats the world deck), but I always get Pentexed with them. Sometimes I am lucky and can find a way to get rid of it, but mostly it's just game over.



So I would like to suggest that Pentex Subversion should get the following errata: "Put this card on a vampire with capacity less than 9". Of course it will never get it. The problem is, that it is not a question if you will get pentexed if you play a big cap (star vampire) deck. You always will get pentexed. The questions are: 1. How often? 2. Are you lucky enough to somehow defend against it?

Since it is such a powerful card I will keep on playing with it until it will finally get banned or gets an errata on it.

Keep pentexing!

by: Mephistopheles

6 comments:

  1. Ah Pentex, the solution to many problems, often to the problem of Pentex! So many times it's like,"crap, how do I win here? Of course, Pentex!" For low stealth decks, its one of the few really effective ways to get past No Secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the following text is well deserved: a metuselah may play only one pentex subversion each game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive probably only removed pentex myself once, but got help from my table ally to get rid of it more times than I can count. At least around here in norway a pentex generally stays on for about a turn (which might be a crucial turn that will get you ousted ofc furthering the strength of dominate bounce...). I still think its a fair card that gets abusive in certain decks, like blockish decks and decks that can recycle it via Anthelios.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Pentex as what it is at the moment.
    Of course I hate when my star vamp or an important one gets pentexed! (as I just say in my blog, sometime I feel the poor minion doesn't deserve it...)

    Pentex... nice way to paralyze a star vampire deck, or sweet moves like having a prey with 3 minions and play Pentex, bleed with seduction and call of the hungry dead.

    And my Fatima has seen more than enough Pentex in her non-life -.-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the love/hate of this card. As much as it's borderline too powerful, it's also invaluable at getting tables moving again, when those tables are slow grinds due to the presence of a lot of blocky decks. Since that often describes my playgroup, I tend to play this card a lot.
    That said, I totally agree with Superlame's idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "Star-vampire" decks, which gives you the easy clue: I HATE IT!
    And what is I hate more that I am forced to put it in my tourney decks to contest it.

    Although I admit it that it is really needed sometimes, just like breaking he ice in a blocker enviroment.

    Got no good idea about it, maybe Superlame's idea, maybe ban, maybe just let it linger on...
    I am so uncertain nowdays... Am I not?

    ReplyDelete