Pages

Saturday 25 September 2010

Basic Mistakes: think it through!

Hi folks!

In this post I am going to discuss two biggies I have seen. They had a really hard impact on the game and these types of mistakes are actually pretty common.

1st: You don't have to play a card just because you can play it!

The situation was this: my grand predator had a Kyasid in play. My predator had already 3 Blood Brothers on the board. Since I started with two influences and was playing an 11 cap, I had two pool on a six cap and 8 on my main vampire. My grand predators turn comes and he plays a Kaymakli Nightmare:


WTF??? It's obvious what happened: that player was just reading the card and playing it, because he considered only the effect it will have on him. He had it in his, but no other masters, so he just played without any consideration on how this card will effect the table. What happened was: I needed 3 more turns to transfer and had not a single vampire in play (the six cap was put into play by another player, so I couldn't go for that) while my predator had 4 vamps. He bled me with Walk of Cain. All together I've lost like 12 pool and in addition couldn't back rush. Oh, and by the way, the Kyasid got ousted and the Blood Brothers won the table.

So please guys, for God's sake, try to consider the effect of cards they have on the entire table before you play them!

2nd: Basic Table Talk

This was another really strange situation. I started the game with a Smiling Jack and got Howler out. I could defend the Jack against my prey. Meanwhile my predator brings into play two a Brujah from group 4-5. He was playing a presence based Brujah vote deck without any bleed bounce. My grand predator (so the guy who wants to oust the Brujah) had a Lucian the Perfect in play. Remember, he has superior Dominate and Obfuscate and +3 bleed. The Brujahs turn comes and he plays a Pentex Subversion on Howler to burn the Smiling Jack. WTF???

I know Smiling Jack is strong and people wanna get rid of it, but here is the big mistake: he could have totally got rid of it without playing the Pentex on Howler. All he should have done was to talk a little. Something like this: "If you let me burn the Jack I will Pentex Lucian and not Howler". Of course I would have agreed. So the Brujah guy gets rid of the Jack and is save from a bleed monster.

Do I need to say, that Lucian the Perfect got the game win?

by: Mephistopheles

No comments:

Post a Comment