Pages

Monday 19 July 2010

Tournament Report: HNC Katalinpuszta

Hi folks!

So here is the tournament report I promised you guys. Altogether 18 players attended the event which is ok for this time of the year. The sun was burning us again, the temperature was around 35 degrees Celsius, so it was a tough day for playing v:tes.

I decided to play my Toreador AAA Grand Ball deck, which I had posted on this blog before. Though I still think it is a good deck I couldn't achieve the results I wanted.

1st round:

Me -> Shatter zhe Gate -> Kyasid sb -> Sebastian Goulet -> Nefertiti

The master cards all came wonderfully, I drew Zillah's Valley in the opening hand an
d an early Villein. The biggest problem was, that I didn't draw enough political action cards and once I tried to play got cross-table-delayed by Ben Peals Kyasids and another Political Card got Confusion of the Eye-d by my prey. I could have dealt with this if Ben hadn't been so fast. He got 2 fast and easy Vp's, since the Nefertiti deck didn't draw any Deflections (shuffle man!!!). Since I couldn't build up I was dead pretty soon. Ben won this round with a perfect sweep.

2nd round:

Me -> Esmeralda Fee States Rant -> Nosferatu Royalty with combat -> Kyasid sb (Ben again)


Great Crypt and nice card draw, but:

1. Got pentexed right in the beginning (Ben ofc).
2. After I got rid of the Pentex Ben delayed my vote.
3. Sudden Reversal on my Villein (Ben ofc).
4. Sudden Reversal on my 2nd Villein (Ben ofc).

Another round with 0 Vp's for me.



3rd round:

Me -> Omaya toolbox -> Cybele Shatter -> Baali Vote deck

I started with Alexandra. She got pentexed right away. LOL! Well I managed to get rid of the Pentex and could gain some pool with the Villein - Giants Blood - Villein combo. This helped my out to slowly build up. Since I didn't draw any Grand Ball I couldn't act. The Shatter deck finally managed to oust my predator. At this point I started to draw my Grand Balls so I could start playing. I had to remove another Pentex from Anneke. Finally I drew my own Pentex which I played on the remaining Annazir. Cybele did find her way to Golconda one turn earlier. After I played the Pentex two unblockable votes, an Anarchist Uprising and a KRC won me the game.

Yeah, 1GW 3Vp's which was enough for the 9th place. Well the deck seems good, but in the early game it is very vulnerable. A Sudden on your first Villein will most likely make the Game Win impossible. It is so much based on this card! Since you cannot use Govern at superior or Fourth Tradition with Alexandra you really need that Villein. The other problem I had with this deck is that it makes no fun to play it. I don't think I'll play it again. There are much more interesting decks in v:tes.

The final was really weird. Three Baali decks made it to the Final, two of them had Cybele as the star vampire, on featured Annazir which the other two players played also. The other two decks were Ben Peal's Kyasid deck and Szilveszter's Bruce the Guy deck. One Baali managed to make 1 vp, Ben ousted the two remaining Baali decks and almost ousted Szilveszter. Almost = not, so Szilveszter ousted Ben. Since Szilveszter was seated better he won the final with 2 Vp's, tied.

Congratulations to Szilveszter!

I will update the HNC ranking soon and hopefully write the other tournament report tomorrow.

by: Mephistopheles

1 comment: