Pages

Friday 8 July 2011

Call of Cthulhu LCG acquired

Hi folks!

I've just finished playing the second round of Call of Cthulhu with Móni (my wife to be). The game seemed very interesting in the shop and we are both fans of Lovecraft, so it was a must have. The rules are quite simple and easy to learn so we started playing almost right away. 

I had chosen a deck built from the Hastur (my fav.) and The Agency fractions, because it seemed like a good choice for a control deck with early defense. The only difficulty was to keep an eye on the Heroic vs. Villainous rule (you can't have both in the game). 

Móni went for a The Syndicate + Yog-Sothoth deck. In the first game I managed to out speed her in the first couple of turns and win 2 quests. Unfortunately for me I wasn't fast enough and Móni could overwhelm me with stronger cards. She laso won 2 quests, so the next player to win a quest would win the game. In the early game I almost only had Agency cards so I played a card that said neutral characters can't be committed to a quest (Móni had 2 neutral characters in play by this time). I felt save, but only for a short time. Móni played an awesome Syndicate character, which' name I don't remember and managed to win that last quest just before I could do so in my next turn.

We played the same deck in the second turn. I managed to create an early 4th domain with the Eldritch Nexus  and could also play a Gentleman's Club that allows you to draw a card per turn (paying 2 for it). I drew cool Hastur cards and could lock Móni down from time to time. This game was much slower than the first one and very balanced. We once more had 2 quests done each. This time I was the man in luck, since I drew Hastur himself whose ability was enough to get my last quest done. We both played and used some cool combos during this game.

All in all, this seems to be an awesome game! I look forward to many more rounds of Call of Cthulhu LCG.

by: Mephistopheles


2 comments:

  1. It's a very good game tho I played it almost 2 years ago :))) All the fractions are awesome but my favs are Miscatonic University ^^ Btw. as a huge fan of Lovecraft also I must say they did a pretty good job with quests and followed the lore of great Cthulu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we will play the same 2 decks for a while. Later on we will try new ones of course and I think I'll go for a Miscatonic University + Shub-Niggurath duo, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete