Pages

Monday 11 July 2011

Call of Cthulhu: first Asylum Pack

Hi folks!

As you could read in the previous post, Móni and I built a Syndicate - Yog-Sothoth and a Hastur - The Agency deck to start this game with. What I forgot to mention was that we also bought the The Spawn of the Sleeper Asylum Pack. After the first few test games we thinned our decks to the minimum of 50 cards. At this point the decks became very unbalanced. The Agency seems like a much stronger faction than The Syndicate and two of the expansion cards for the Hastur faction are just insanely strong. The Erich Zann + Terrifying Visage combo is way stronger than anything Yog-Sothoth had to offer.

So we agreed to build new decks. Móni, maybe because she was disappointed by the human forces, wanted to try a deck with Ancient-One factions only, so she picked a Hastur - Cthulhu combination. I stayed with my original plan to build a Shub-Niggurath + Miscatonic University duo. After a few test games these decks seemed to be much more balanced. Note that we don't have enough cards yet to build mono-faction decks.

This game provides something I really missed since I stopped playing magic: the gathering years ago: namely card combos. It's not the same in v:tes. So far I noticed and played one really cool card combo from my second deck (Y'Golonac + Celano Fragments):
















Of course there are many other combos in this card game, but this one is my favorite so far. Another thing I noticed is that the golden rule for card games also do apply to coc lcg: card advantage! Let the opponent discard cards is good. Draw cards yourself is even better!

Enough for today. This weekend we will celebrate Frankies birthday with a massive board gaming at my place so I will report what games we played and what my impression of these games was.

by: Mephistopheles

No comments:

Post a Comment