Pages

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Summon History: Jacques de Molay

Hi folks!

As you may or may not know, some of the vampires we use to play with are not only fictional but are taken from our history. I think it is interesting to know, who these people were so I started to research on this topic. The first "vampire" whose "life" I want to introduce is Jacques de Molay aka Jacques Molay in v:tes.














He was born in Vitrey, Department of Haute Saone, France in 1244. In 1265 he joined the Knights Templar an organization sanctioned by the Roman Catholic Church in 1128. Their main duty was to guard the road between Jerusalem and Acre. Later on the Order of Knights Templar participated in the Crusades fought for the Holy Land.

Jacques de Molay became the twenty-third and last Grand Master of the Knights Templar and lead the Order from April 20, 1292 until it was dissolved by Pope Clement V in 1312. Due to looting and robbery during the Crusades (the Crusades were before Jacques became the Grand Master), the Order of Knights Templar became one of the wealthiest organizations in Europe. They lend money to many Kings, like King Philip IV of France, who was deeply in debt to the Templars. Unfortunately to Jacques de Molay and his Order, this wealth caused their doom. In 1307 King Philip IV had them arrested and made them make false confessions, so he could put his hands on their properties. After Jacques de Molay retracted his confession King Philip IV had him burn at the stake on an island in the Seine river in Paris on March 1314.

Since this blog is still about v.tes and not about history, I don't want to write countless pages on one person. For those of you, who want to read more about him:

Jacques de Molay on Wikipedia
jacquesdemolay.org
Templar History

6 comments:

  1. Note that he is also VtM cannon. Channing the Beast p. 57. Where he is credited for creating the Path of Honorable accord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I do not play VtM, however I have some friends playing it. I'll ask them if they can help me out with the printed stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked to read it, nice section, Mephistopheles, keep on with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is great too! Can I make suggestions for possible future posts? I have a song called Greensleeves on a children's CD, its about two lovers or something like that. Are 3rd edition vamps Greensleeves and Humo tied into this song somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you TorranceCircle for the idea. I will check if I find some information on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always turn to Vampire any time i want to. i become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my country. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete